Friday, January 23, 2009

Life After Colllege Speaker

So yesterday the CDC helped to bring Andy Masters to campus, a speaker from Ft. Lauderdale. It was called Life after College. He spoke about reasons to be inspired to be the best you can be. He mentioned attempting to get that perfect job that you have always dreamed of. About how to get the resources to start your own company if you wished. About not jsut accepting your future but planning it and executing it at the best of your ability. Some of the things that he mentioned that stodd out to me was concepts about the "hidden market". This is the theory that explains that 90% of people are just blindly applying online to 10% of the jobs out there. The other 90% of jobs are not marketed because companies don't like to market. He urged us to be part of the 10% of people who use their contacts to network and find your dream job. He mentioned that an article described that hte average person knows 250 people. So each of those 250 peopke that you know, knows on average 250 people. So each of us potentially has access to at least 62,500 people on average between the people that you know and the people that they know. He suggested that we treat every relationship as a potential networking favor that we might receive in the future. It was interesting to hear this, considering that I got my job through a friend by just sending her my resume hoping she had anything in her department for me. A position hadn't been posted online but there seemed to be a need. Finally, Andy Masters suggested that when we were talking to people and especially interviews we always asked more and more questions. All in all, it was a good speaker to listen to. He was very motivational, especially to underclassmen I find.

No comments: